A dis-loyalty card & the world’s best coffee

by Kristofer Mencák on April 18, 2010

I had heard about it and had pretty high expectations. Would Prufrock Coffee in Shoreditch in London deliver? It wasn’t the typical combination; a clothes and accessories store, combined with a coffee shop featuring two world class baristas. The coffee was great – I had a cappuccino. But, it’s hard to judge whether it was the best in the world, even though the 2009 UK and World Champion Barista, Gwilym Davies made it.

However, something that intrigued me was that they had a “dis-loyalty card“. That is not very common. Usually, businesses try to keep customers to themselves, viewing others offering the same product or service as bitter enemies. So, what’s the deal then? Well, this is what the card says: “Complete this tour of East London’s emerging coffee scene to claim a free coffee from the World Barista Champion Gwilym Davies @ Prufrock.”

I have been thinking a bit about the logic with this card, and the obvious is that what Prufrock gains is a return visit. But, they also potentially lose out on eight other visits?! It is not obvious that it is to their advantage. So, what else? Well, they are of course growing the pie instead of trying to get a bigger slice of a smaller pie. Also, it is a sign of greatness to dare refer customers to competitors.

And, it seems this disloyalty card, has gotten quite some attention in around the net. Steve Sack for example, gives us one of the better analyses and I agree completely:

“Great idea and a simple twist on a trusted marketing standard. Actually encourage your customers to experiment, to sample the competitor, to explore the industry landscape – and trust them to form their own educated opinion. Raise the bar for quality, show implicit confidence in your product, and display transparency. ‘My product is so good that I trust you will remain loyal even after having sampled the competition.’ And best of all, the idea is being discussed, blogged, tweeted and debated – which is all good for business.”

Just as Marty Neumeier writes in Zag: “When others zig, zag”. It no doubt creates word of mouth, and the idea has already spread to Seattle and Toronto.

Here are some links to what others have written.

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Steve Sack April 26, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Thanks for connecting the dots around the globe – there are no boundaries to clever, transparent marketing ideas.

Kristofer Mencák April 26, 2010 at 7:07 pm

You’re welcome! My thanks to you!

3D Blogger February 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm

3D Televisions
Thank you for including this great resource to the world wide web keep the content coming.

atlanta allergies January 23, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Excellent web site. Lots of helpful info here. I am
sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing
in delicious. And naturally, thank you in your effort!

milfseeker February 9, 2015 at 4:05 am

You will no longer be just a hot mom, but a smokin’ hot mom, because you showed him there’s more to you than just a pretty face.
Wet dreams paradise has the most far-reaching variety of
free sex videos available on their website. We’ve all been accustomed to
seeing the old fart with the drop dead bombshell that is 20+
years younger.

numeros amazon February 9, 2015 at 12:00 pm

May I just say what a comfort to discover an individual who
truly knows what they’re discussing on the web. You
certainly understand how to bring an issue to
light and make it important. More and more people must look at this and understand this side of your
story. I was surprised that you’re not more popular because you most certainly possess the
gift.

guy hoodies April 4, 2015 at 4:54 am

You really make it appear really easy along with your presentation but I to find
this matter to be actually one thing which I believe I’d by no
means understand. It seems too complicated and very wide for
me. I am looking forward for your subsequent submit, I’ll try to get the hold of it!

escapadas romanticas valenia April 17, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve visited this blog before but after browsing through
many of the articles I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely delighted I came
across it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back
frequently!

Haarausfall stoppen April 30, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Wonderful website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics talked about here?
I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get feed-back from other knowledgeable people that share
the same interest. If you have anny recommendations, please let me know.
Appreciate it!

online reading May 2, 2015 at 2:42 pm

from The Wharton School and is the co-founder of the online marketing company that helps clients with online promotion. com among best
hotel near Universal Studios is just located within 3 miles
from Wet N’ Wild, 4 miles from Ripley’s, 4. Mumbai Best Restaurants are known all over
the world for the authentic Indian food and an assortment of the
finest cuisines served in a charming ambience.

design tshirts May 3, 2015 at 3:21 am

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the long run and it is time to be happy.
I’ve learn this post and if I may I desire to counsel you few attention-grabbing issues or advice.

Maybe you could write subsequent articles relating to this article.
I want to read more things about it!

black hoodie May 3, 2015 at 4:09 am

Thanks to my father who told me regarding this webpage, this weblog is truly amazing.

domace vijesti May 5, 2015 at 1:39 pm

At this time I am going to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming again to read more news.

facebook quotes May 5, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all people you really know what you are talking about!

Bookmarked. Kindly additionally seek advice from my web site =).
We may have a link alternate agreement among us

my.oss.org.cn May 8, 2015 at 7:09 pm

If you desire to increase your knowledge only keep visiting this site
and be updated with the newest gossip posted here.

1hideout.com May 9, 2015 at 1:33 pm

It could be a statement in the release notes or other documentation that
highlights the defect as a known and open issue; it could be a case of marketing
toning down its spiel or enlightening customers about the potential issue – in the real world, it may not be possible to fix
every defect that testers want fixed. If I were you,
I’d call their office for reservations immediately. The acquisition of an asset does
not give rise to an expense because it does not decrease the owner’s equity.